Architectural License by Examination
Before your application for licensure with the Iowa Board will be approved, you must:
Establish an NCARB (National Council of Architectural Registration Boards) Council Record that includes a professional architecture degree from a college or university accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB)
- Complete the Architectural Experience Program (AXP) administered by NCARB
- Pass all sections of the A.R.E. Iowa has eliminated the five-year rolling period to pass each of the division of the A.R.E. However, in order to be eligible for an NCARB certificate and reciprocity in jurisdictions outside of Iowa, you must take and pass all divisions of the A.R.E within a five-year rolling period.
Once you have completed the items above, contact NCARB to have your transmittal sent to the Iowa Board.
- You will receive an e-mail from the Iowa Board when it has received the transmittal.
Complete and submit the Iowa application online
- Go to https://iowaplb.force.com/IPLB_login. Create a new user or log into your existing account.
- Complete the application and submit for review.
- Once staff has reviewed and approved your application, you will receive an e-mail letting alerting you to log into your account to pay the fees.
Please do not submit your application until you have received notice from the Iowa Board that your NCARB transmittal has been received. Please note that we must receive your completed application within three (3) months of receiving your NCARB transmittal.
Note: Iowa does not have a residency requirement.