2021 Renewal Information - Architecture
Iowa Architectural Examining Board 2021 Renewal Information
Individual License Renewal for biennium July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2023
Renewals begin May 16, 2021.
On or before June 30, 2021
July 1 – 30, 2020 (late renewal)
Continuing Education Requirements
- Licensed for less than 12 months: No continuing education required.
- Licensed more than 12 months but less than 24 months: At least 12 hours of public protection (HSW) hours
- Licensed for 24 months or more: At least 24 public protection (HSW) hours
All classes must be completed between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2021 (or the date of renewal, whichever is sooner.)
Inactive and Retired
No CE required
Frequently Asked Questions
When do the 24 hours of HSW continuing education need to be completed?
The 24 HSW hours must be completed between July 1, 2019 and June 30, 2021 (or the date of renewal, whichever is sooner).
What are the ways to provide CEU?
- Attest to the number of hours.
- Manually input each course and upload certificate
- Upload AIA transcript
- Out of state affidavit for non-residents of Iowa who have a mandatory continuing education requirement
I don’t have 24 hours of HSW continuing education. What are my options?
Option 1: You must renew by 11:59 p.m. on June 30, 2021. If you are able, continue to take HSW CE courses and renew by the deadline.
Option 2: Renew in inactive status. You may not practice architecture (as listed in Iowa Code section 544A.16) while inactive; however, you can take the required classes and then apply to change to active status.
Option 3: Petition the board for additional time to take classes. You must complete the “General - Petition for Waiver from Administrative Rules” application online and submit for review prior to June 30, 2021.
Please be advised that if you renew and do not have 24 hours of HSW continuing education, you may face disciplinary action, including public discipline, a civil penalty between $50 and $250, and additional continuing education hours equal to double the deficiency in addition to the required hours.
How do I request an exemption from the CEU requirement?
To request an exemption from these requirements (for situations such as working overseas, active military service, or hardship situations) please complete the “General - Petition for Waiver from Administrative Rules” application online and submit for review prior to June 30, 2021.
What is an inactive license?
Inactive licensure is available to a certificate holder residing within or outside Iowa who is not engaged in Iowa in any practice for which licensure as an architect is required. While inactive, a person shall not use the title "architect" or any other title that might imply that the person is offering services as an architect. Continuing education is not required, and the renewal fee is $100.
What is a retired status?
Retired licensure is available to a person who does not reasonably expect to return to the workforce in any capacity for which a license is required due to a bona fide retirement or disability. The title "architect" may be used in the context of non-income-producing personal activities. Continuing education is not required.
I am retired. Do I need to renew?
Those architects who wish to be in retired status need to renew as retired for the first biennial after being in active or inactive status. After that, retired architects do not need to renew again.
To Renew Your License
- Navigate to https://iowaplb.force.com/IPLB_login.
- Enter your username (usually your email address) and password. If you have forgotten your password, click on the “Forgot Password” button. An email will come your inbox with a link to set up a new password.
- On the MY Iowa PLB – Home screen, click on your license number listed under the “My Licenses” section.
- Click on “Begin Application Process.”
- Verify your name and contact information. If it is correct, click “Next.” If you need to edit the information, click on “Yes” and follow the prompts to edit.
- Answer the Veteran Status question – please note that for the purposes of renewal, Veteran Status does exempt you from renewing or continuing education requirements.
- Verify your residential address. If it is correct, click “Next.” If you need to edit the information, click on “Yes” and follow the prompts to edit.
- Specify your gender or select “Do not wish to specify.” Click “Next.”
- Specify your ethnic or select “Do not wish to specify.” Click “Next.”
- Select Architectural Examining Board from the drop down. Click “Next.”
- Select Architect License Renewal. Click “Next.”
- Select your license. Click “Next.”
- On the You are About to Create the Following Application, Click “Continue” then click “Next.”
- Click “Finish”
- Click on “Complete Checklist” and answer the questions. Once you have them completed, you will return to the application page. If you have submissions, click on Upload submissions. Once you are done, click on “Submit for Review.”
- Pay fees.
- Your license card will be emailed to you.