On-Line Application Types
The Iowa Professional Licensing Bureau (PLB) recently transitioned to a new licensing database. All applications will now need to be completed via online submission into the new licensing systems, called DataPro.
You will need to click on the "Login to my Iowa PLB" button found at the top of this page. First time users need to create a login/contact for DataPro (aka "My Iowa PLB".) DO NOT CREATE MORE THAN ONE LOGIN/CONTACT. All users will then submit requests/changes/applications electronically. If you have any issues or questions at that time or are looking to seek assistance, please do not hesitate to contact Commission staff.
For best results, use Chrome web browser. Please note Microsoft Explorer v11 is not supported.
Click here to find out what browser you are currently using.
You will want to add firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts to avoid e-mails from DataPro being sent to your spam folder.
When documents (submissions) are required, the preferred type is PDF.
IMPORTANT: If the firm or the broker sole-proprietor you will be assigned to has an Iowa license, you must have that number available. (License format is FXXXXX000 for firm or BXXXXX000 for a broker sole-proprietor.)
Once you have submitted an application for review, the status of your application will be "Pending Internal Review." Please allow, at a minimum, 7 - 10 business days for staff to complete their review of your application. However, License Transfer applications for active licensees do take priority and licensees should expect these to be reviewed within 1 - 3 business days, assuming they are submitted successfully with the required documents.
Description of Status of an Application - Once you have started or submitted an applicaiton within your "My Iowa PLB."
Criminal History Background/Fingerprint packet:
- General – Background Check Packet Request - To be used for requesting a criminal history background (fingerprint) packet to be mailed.
Criminal History Background Index for further information concerning the background process, including a FAQ link.
- Salesperson/Broker Application - Use this to apply for a new salesperson or a new broker license.
- Converting from Salesperson to Broker Application - Use this if you already have an Iowa salesperson license and are now applying for a broker license.
- Branch Office Application - Use this to license a branch office. Must already have your main office licensed.
- Broker Associate to Broker Officer Conversion- Use this if you need to change the type of broker license from associate or sole proprietor to an officer.
- Additional Broker Officer Application - Use this if you already are licensed as a broker officer of a company and are now needing to obtain an additional broker officer license for another company.
- Broker Sole Proprietor Conversion - Use this if you need to change the type of broker license from an associate or an officer to a sole proprietor.
- Firm License Application - Use this to apply for a firm license for a corporation, partnership, LLC, PC, etc. This must be submitted by a broker officer, a broker partner or a broker member of the firm.
- Tradename Application - Can only be submitted by a firm or a broker sole proprietor to apply for a tradename (a DBA or a fictitious name) to be used for advertising purposes.
- Reinstatement Application - Branch/Tradename/Additional Broker Officer - Use this to reinstate an expired or cancelled branch office, tradename or additional broker officer license.
- Reinstatement Application - Firm - Use this to reinstate an expired or cancelled firm.
- Reinstatement Application - Individual - Use this option to reinstate a broker or salesperson license that has been expired for less than three years.
Change of status or transfer:
- Request to Change Affiliated Licensee Status to Inactive - This must be submitted by the employing broker to change the status of a licensee assigned to him/her to inactive status. A salesperson or broker associate cannot place their own license on inactive status. The broker will be asked for the license number of the individual going inactive at the "Submit for Review" feature.
- Change of Status from Inactive to Active - This must be submitted by the licensee that wants to change his/her status from inactive to active.
- Transfer Form - To be submitted by the licensee that wants to transfer directly from his/her current company to another licensed company.
Change of Designated Broker of a Firm or Branch Office:
- Request to Change Designated Broker - To be submitted only by a broker officer to change the designated broker (broker in charge) of either the main office or a branch office.
Closing of Offices or Cancellation of Licenses:
- Request to Close Firm/Sole Proprietorship - Use this to close (or cancel) a firm or a sole proprietorship.
- Tradename Cancellation Request - Can only be submitted by the firm or the broker sole proprietor to whom the tradename license is assigned to.
- Closing a Branch Office Must be submitted either as an "Other" type electronically, or E-mail to email@example.com.
Trust Account Forms:
First choose Other Application – Attach Scanned Copy of a Paper Version. You will then need to attach the appropriate completed form:
If closing a trust account use this application type:
Notice of Closed Trust Account - Submit this whenever you close a trust account.
General – Request for Verification (License and/or Exam History) This is the application to complete for those who need a Certification of Licensure or a License History.
General – Petition for Waiver from Administrative Rules
General – Request for Change of Legal name - To change the legal name of an individual. Will be required to provide proof of legal change.
General – Application to Apply Military Service to an Experience or Educational Requirement for Licensure
Available only during the renewal cycle beginning November 16th of your renewal year.
- Renewal Application - Branch/Tradename/Additional Broker Officer
- Renewal Application - Firm
- Renewal Application - Individual
Request to sit for the exam in lieu of continuing education (July 1-Dec. 31 of the year of your expiration):
You will need to complete the "Request for Exam Authorization Letter for Continuing Education for Renewal" application online. Once your application is approved you will receive an email with the authorization letter.
- Authorized Course Application
- Authorized Course-Provider Application
- Authorized Instructor Application
- Pre/Post Course Approval Request
Other Application – Attach Scanned Copy of a Paper Version
You will be required to attach a copy of an application you have compelted and saved on your electronic device. Two examples are:
- Change of Firm Name and/or Address
- Real Estate Mailing Label List (For an individual or a company that is not licensed this order form can be completed and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.)