Only licensed CPAs or LPAs may practice public accountancy in the United States. Iowa’s Accountancy Board is the only agency able to revoke a license to practice in the State of Iowa. This site provides information about licensing and discipline.
View the Disciplinary Index
Discipline is in our online index. Search the index to locate information about a specific action.
|Fee / License Type||Associated Costs|
|CPA Firm Registration||$100.00|
|LPA Firm Registration||$100.00|
|Reciprocal-Substantial Equivalency Registration||$100.00|
|Reciprocal-Substantial Equivalency Certificate suitable for framing||$50.00|
|Duplicate CPA certificate suitable for framing||$50.00|
|Application to Register Foreign License||$100.00|
|Annual Registration and Renewal of Active CPA License||$100.00|
|Annual Registration and Renewal of Inactive CPA License||$50.00|
|Annual Registration and Renewal of Active LPA License||$100.00|
|Annual Registration and Renewal of Inactive LPA License||$50.00|
|Initial registration fee - CPA exam candidates to licensee status||$100.00|
|License verification fee for forms from other jurisdictions||$25.00|
Board members, both drawn from the accounting profession and others, are appointed to serve by the Governor. State boards of accountancy have disciplinary and enforcement powers over licensees and operate on a complaint-based system.
To become licensed there are education, examination and experience components. To maintain a CPA license, continuing education requirements also must be fulfilled.
Visit the Iowa Talent Bank for board member information.
Meeting Agendas & Minutes
- Administrative Rules 193A - Iowa Accountancy Examining Board
- Iowa Code Chapter 542 - Iowa Accountancy Examining Board
- Iowa Code Chapter 17A - Iowa Administrative Procedure Act
- Iowa Code Chapter 272C - Continuing Education and Regulation - Professional and Occupational
- Iowa Administrative Rules: 193 - Professional Licensing Bureau
- AICPA Code of Professional Conduct
- List of Criminal Offenses Directly Relating to the Profession of Accountancy
Pursuant to Executive Order 10, the Iowa Professional Licensing & Regulation Bureau will be reviewing its existing Administrative Rules in accordance with the schedule. More information about Executive Order 10 is available on the Department of Management’s website.
Agency Rules Administrator
The Agency Rules Administrator is the official responsible for the administration of the agency rulemaking process. If you have any questions about current or pending agency rules for the Board, contact the Agency Rules Administrator:
The Iowa Legislature has tools available in order to keep up-to-date with the rulemaking process.
- Administrative Rules Agency Changes Subscription: To subscribe to receive a notice of any rule changes from an agency, visit https://www.legis.iowa.gov/subscribe/agencyChanges and select the agency (or agencies) from which you want to get notices.
- Rules Tracker: To track the progress of each rule-making document, visit https://www.legis.iowa.gov/law/administrativeRules/tracker.
- To learn more about the rule-making process, visit https://www.legis.iowa.gov/law/administrativeRules/howDoRulesWork.
To submit an online application, log into My Iowa PLB.
Supplemental CPA Forms
- Accountancy CPA CPE Reporting Form - to be used when CPE is required with initial CPA application.
- Accountancy CPA Attest Qualification Application - to be used to verify attest experience.
- Accountancy CPA Experience Record - use to verify experience
- Accountancy LPA Experience Record - use to verify experience